The Opera House
The Opera House was opened in 1884 among great splendour in the presence of King Franz Joseph. The building was planned and constructed by Miklós Ybl, who won the tender among other famous contemporary architects.
It was built in neo-renaissance style along the famous Andrássy Avenue. The facade is decorated with the statues of renowned composers and the Greek Godesses of art. The statues of Erkel and Liszt by Alajos Stróbl decorate the niches next to the main entrance. Ferenc Erkel was the first director of the Opera House and the founder of the Hungarian opera.
The inner decoration was designed to reflect elegance and pomp. Thus the staircase is covered with marble, the walls are decorated by the frescoes of illostrious Hungarian painters. The horse-shoe shaped audience hall is fitted with red and gold and the chandellier from Mainz also contributes to the elegant atmosphere. The construction took 9 years to be completed, but when finished, the Operahouse of Budapest was the most modern one in Europe.
Visiting the Opera House:
Guided tours daily at 3&4 pm.
For groups above 10 persons tours are offered with previous reservation throughout the day.
The Opera House can be visited only with a local guide. Tours are available in 6 languages: English, German, French, Spanish, Italian and Hungarian. Tours take appr. 45-50 minutes.
More info: www.opera.hu