The strange name covers a beautifully renovated park at the slopes of the castle hill. Várkert Bazár was constructed in the late 1800’s to close down the castle area from the Danube side. It was a commercial venue, thus the name Bazár – meaning bazaar.
The architect Miklós Ybl planned neo-renaissance buildings with many archades and turrets. The area soon became popular among artists. Alajos Stróbl, the famous sculptor had he first studio there. Later he was followed by numerous contemporary artists and a painting school dedicated for women.
During the second world war the area was badly damaged and due to the lack of funds and intension, was left in ruins.
The 1960-80’s witnessed a revival, as the famous Ifjusági Park with numerous landmark concerts had it’s seat there. Therefote it was the most important gathering and rendezvous place for the young generation of the time. Unfortunatelly it became dangerous and was closed by the authorities. For decades it was a ruined area at the foot of the most spectacular spot in Budapest.
Várkert Bazár revival
After many fierce debates in 2013 reconstruction works started. As a result the park was opened in 2014 and more additional services followed later. Through Várkert Bazár one can get to the Buda Placae by elevator, using the escalator or the stairs.
Today Várkert Bazár is
- a neo-renaissance park
- a panorama point
- a conference venue
- an exhibition area with temporary exhibitions
- an underground parking place
- a prestigious spot in the middle of the World Heritage Site
- a tourist attraction
There are many programs organised there according to the season: carnival, concerts, filmclubs etc.
Services include a restaurant, a café, public toilette, cloakroom, a cinema room etc.
Guided tours are also available upon registration.