second oldest zoo in Europe
is located in the City
close to Heroes'
and can be
reached by the yellow line of the underground. It was created in
1866, thus it is the second oldest zoo in Europe.
buildings still preserve the old atmosphere but of course the
facilities were modernised to face the 21st
the zoo opened approximately 500 animals lived there, many of them
were granted by well-to-do personalities and exotic animals only
arrived later. For
anniversary the lion house was completed and also
ostrichs, bisons and the first African elephant were bought.
the zoo had nearly 2000 inhabitants but due to financial problems and
the decreasing number of visitors a decline started.
company operating the plant and animal park went bankrupt. Luckily
both the public and the politicians found it important to save the
zoo, therefore it became the property of the capital. Famous
commissioned with the rebuilding and renovation of the establishments.
Some of the art-nouveau buildings still can be seen. In 1912
was re-opened and many new species arrived.
following years the
institution had professional directors, who put great impact on
education too. The second world war badly damaged the
only a few animals survived.
1949 the zoo was opened for the 3rd
time among moderate circumstances. In
the 1950's and 1960's it slowly regained its status and was
re-populated again. In 1966 the 100th
celebrated with renovations and scientific conferences. In the last
decades the development was continuous and the zoo raised to a
the institution has international
reputation and scientific efforts are rewarded by birth of special
endangered species e.g. lately a white rhinoceros calf was
low season from 9am to 5pm, in high season from 9am to 7pm, the cash
desk closes an hour earlier. Detailed opening times can be found here: